Table of Contents
What is a surge protector?
Surge protector which is also known by the name “surge suppressor” is a device which controls the fluctuation of current and protects the life of electronic devices like smartphones, computer systems or music player. Normally the current flowing through home electric line is 120 V and if in any case, which might happen, the voltage surges or spike or increases for a second, then it has the capacity to damage all the electronic appliances or lower down the working life of the appliances. Electronic appliances are prone to breaking at some point. It is important to remember Jim’s have qualified test and tag services throughout Australia that can check your electrical appliances if you feel they are unsafe.
How does it work?
A surge protector is a long power strip with many sockets, allowing multiple electronic systems to be connected at the same time. Within a power strip, the electronic mechanism has a hot line, a fuse and a Metal Oxide Varistor or MOV. The normal current of the home runs through the hot line of the power strip and if any, time the voltage of the current increases suddenly, then the extra current will be passed on to the MOV by the surge protector and the electronic appliances will be protected from sudden surge. This is essential if you have a lot of expensive and quality technical equipment ranging from having many smart appliances and devices to audio equipment like from Graham Slee HiFi.
What are the things needed to be kept in mind while buying a good surge protector?
- It should be built with the flame retardant material – It is important to check that the surge protector has been manufactured with some kind of bad conductor of heat material. If in case the unexpected spike in current is not managed by the surge protector, it would cause the power strip to burn, and that no one wants for sure. The plastic burns instantly and again the power strip shouldn’t be built with that. The material should be flame retardant i.e. capable of facing high temperatures so that it will be protected from any kind of burning or exploding into flames. Not only for flame it shouldn’t corrode easily also as it will be exposed to the air for its entire life.
- It should have multiple of sockets – the power strip with less or very low numbers of socket would be of limited good as its primary use is to connect multiple of electronic systems at a single point of time. Today the surge protector has not only become stylish but also smart as it has multiple sockets and that too regular as well as wider ones. The USB ports are also given to charge it with any phone charger or connect it with any other USB cord. The surge protector should be smart and stylish and useful.
- It should be ETL listed and FCC certified – ETL listed mark is the official approval of the product to be used in the North American region especially in America and Canada. It ensures that the product is manufactured under regulations and is not a fake product. ETL listed products are in total compliance with the manufacturing industry standards. FCC or Federal Communications Commission certificate means any electronic appliance has limited electromagnetic interference. The FCC certification makes any electronic product safe and usable.
- The power cord should be of good length – Every company provides different cord length with different price and color. If an individual need 6 foot cord and by mistake he or she has overlooked this feature and purchase a good quality surge protector and later on finding out that the cord is only 5 feet then the whole situation becomes frustrating and irritating. So it should be the important thing to look for the cord length early on.It is very important that the cord cover or outer material is of extremely good quality that will last long enough. It could happen that even if the surge protector strip is working fine, the outer cover of the cord cable wears down and triggers shock or spark. So mind it.
- The surge suppressor should have wall mounting holes – This is very small and quite negligent detail but could be an important one If someone wants to mount a surge protector on a wall and make it give a clean look then probably he or she should make it a point to look out for wall mounting holes at the back of the product before buying them. It will protect the customers from unexpected frustration.
Top 5 Best Surge Protector Power Strips of 2018: Our PicksCLICK TO SEE THE BEST PRICE ON AMAZON
- This product is useful for computer systems, laser printers, home theatre systems and telephone etc.
- This strip contains 12 easy outlets i.e. 6 are regulars and other 6 are widely spaced outlets. It has 3 USB ports in which two of them are smart IC technology enabled and the third one as usual.
- The most important feature is this surge protector has a double break overload switch mode.
- It is ETL listed product and FCC certified power strip.
- It has been made with flame retardant material and can withstand upto1, 380° F energy i.e. 750° C.
- It has built-in LED light safeguards and surge protector. The power strip has two lighting indicator i.e. is in red and in green color. The red color indicates the normal power supply in surge protector and the green color indicates the strip is protected.
- There is a 30-day hassle free return and exchange option at Amazon.
|Dimension||12.9 x 4.7 x 1.4 inches|
|Amazon Rating||4.7 / 5 (the best seller)|
|Shipping weight||2.3 pounds|
- High temperature withstands potential
- Multiple sockets
- Long Cord
- Amazon Bestseller – 87% of customers have given it 5 Stars.
- Some of the customers have said that it makes buzzing sound while plugging it into a socket (well that might be because of poor electric lines at home).
This is the best product at a good price. The efficiency of this product is excellent.
- This is a black color tower and not a power strip surge suppressor and has 8 sockets.
- There are 6 smart USB ports in which one USB port output is up to 2.4A that gives the devices a super fast speed charge.
- 6 USB electronic devices like smartphones, the digital camera can be charged speedily at a single time with smart USB ports with the adjustable electric flow and without any spark due to built-in IC designs of USB ports.
- The Rated Voltage of this tower is 110 V- 250 V and rated current mark is 15A. This ensures that this one product is enough and equivalent to two power strips.
- CE and FCC certified.
- The product claims to give 100% satisfaction level to its customers.
|Dimensions||5.5 x 5.5 x 6.3 inches|
|Shipping weight||1.56 pounds|
|Price (Amazon)||$ 32.99|
|Maximum power capacity||3000|
|Amazon ratings||4.4 / 5|
- Smart USB ports allowing speed charging of 6 USB devices at a single time.
- Flame retardant material
- Bestseller on Amazon
- Rectangle shape, allowing it to stand anywhere on the table or shelf. No need to hang it on the wall.
- Tower shape, allowing 360° accessibility.
- Good cord length
- The product focuses majorly on allowing USB devices for speed charging. Therefore, those who want a power strip mainly for power surge control can find it little disinteresting.
- Did not find any guaranteed time.
This tower is again the best seller on Amazon and has given 100% satisfaction to thousands of customers. The 360° accessibility of sockets makes it a good choice.
Belkin BE112230-08 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector
- This product is ideal for home as well for the office.
- It has 12 outlets with 8’ ft cord.
- It has Electrical ratings of 15A/125V with AC plug right angled styled.
- The product has safety covers for a socket and cord management clip for its long cord.
- It protects all the heavy duty electronic appliances with a 3,940 J energy rating.
- It has a lifetime warranty
|Dimensions||6.1 x 2.1 x 15.6 inches|
|Amazon Ratings||4.5 / 5|
|Products weight||2.2 pounds|
|Warranty||Lifetime (3,00,000 connected devices)|
- 12 sockets
- Extremely long cord (8’ft)
- Well built
- Lifetime warranty
- Excellent ratings and reviews
- Do not have smart sockets like earlier products (low price can compensate for that)
- If someone is looking for well built and capable power strip at an affordable price then this is the product for them.
- It is a standard product having 4 stationary outlets, but 8 rotating outlets for electronic devices.
- The cord is 8 feet long and capable of withstanding high energy supply.
- Its energy rating is 4320 J and Input Voltage is 125 V.
- It has 1 –in and 2- out which is suitable for telephone and fax surge protection.
|Dimensions||4 x 1.1 x 11.4 inches|
|Product Weight||2.45 lbs|
|Amazon ratings||4.7 /5|
- Rotating outlets for convenience
- It is a high powered surge protector
- Extremely long cord with high power withstanding capability
- One of the best-rated product on Amazon
- High customer satisfaction
- Stand on its promises
- Some customers have reported that it doesn’t work well in rains when lightning causes the devices to go dead.
- The product is good and rated better in comparison to others as well, but if it cannot protect the devices well from lightening effect then it fails its primary work.
- This flat stylish power strip has 11 –outlets mounted on board and 6-foot flat end power cord.
- There are 2 USB ports which provide 2.4Amps power charging
- The product comes with a lifetime warranty and $2, 50,000 connected devices protection policy.
- The product claims to protect all the electrical appliances from lightning and a sudden surge of current.
- The 3 LED light mounted on product informs about power overload, unit, and wall wiring fault/issues.
|Dimensions||11.9 x 4.7 x 1.6 inches|
|Product weight||2.23 pounds|
|Bestseller rank (Amazon)||# 8 in electronics|
- The product is definitely a hit among its competitors
- Extremely satisfied customers (81% of customers have given it 5 Stars)
- Good socket spacing for multiple plugging at a single time
- The sockets are not too deep which many users would find disappointing. Do ensure power plugs size before buying this power strip.
The product is good and stylish. The majority of the customers have shown it thumbs up while some have reported not working in thunderstorms and with shallow sockets.
The above mentioned surge protector power strips are really affordable and have interesting features enabled on the board. Some of them are in rectangle tower shape and most of them are in flat board style. All the above products can be bought keeping in mind the features of the product and convenience provided by them. The final decision lies on your conviction.